John J. Marinan
- Securities Arbitration and Civil Litigation
We’re pleased to have John J. Marinan, Esq., as Of Counsel to the firm wherein John will co-counsel with the Firm on securities arbitration cases and complex litigation.
John is a graduate of Pace University School of Law, and was awarded a Juris Doctor. He is admitted to practice in the State of New Jersey, and admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
John has a background in law enforcement, serving on the Middletown Township Police Department, receiving several Fraternal and Service Awards. His awards include Fraternal Order of Police, Local 53-Outstanding Officer (1993), a Departmental Letter of Commendation (1986), and the following PBA Local 124 Service Awards: the Combat Cross (1990), the Medal of Merit (1990), and three Life Saving Awards (1984) (1985) & (1986).
During his time in private practice, Mr. Marinan had extensive exposure to complex litigation. John's major strengths were investigation, and pretrial discovery, with a primary focus on the detection of internal/external fraud, and the researching and arrangement of complex legal issues.
John has significant experience in representing investors in actions involving financial and investment advisors. He has pursued claims in state court, as well as numerous claims successfully filed through FINRA. Prior to handling claims on behalf of investors, John served as a public arbitrator for both the NYSE and NASD.
For those seeking further information, we encourage you to review our informative page, located in practice areas, explaining securities arbitration. We also encourage you to read the various articles Mr. Marinan has posted on this topic.
John also concentrates on complex civil litigation, including, but not limited to: consumer fraud, fraud detection, restitution, insurance coverage issues, due diligence reviews, and business valuation disputes. His practice also included representation of a large member public employee union, wherein he dedicated his representation towards disciplinary, contractual grievance matters, and labor negotiations.
John also served as general counsel to a large medical practice group providing counsel and advice. During his tenure, he evaluated and implemented a new corporate structure and managed day to day operations. Mr. Marinan also reviewed all business practices, including compliance with state and federal administrative regulations. John also reviewed, and restructured, existing IRAs/retirement accounts of the medical group.
John is admitted to practice law in the State of New Jersey and is a member of the following professional associations: The New York State Bar Association, The Association of the Bar of the City of New York, The New Jersey Police Honor Legion, The Fraternal Order of Police, The Pace University School of Law Alumni Association, and the Christian Brothers Academy Alumni Association.
Current Employment Position
- Law Office of John J. Marinan
- Of Counsel, Karcher Law Firm
- Law Office of John J. Marinan, Navesink, New Jersey, 2003 - Present
- Brookdale Community College, Lincroft, New Jersey , Adjunct Professor, Legal Studies Department, 2000 to 2004
- Legal Studies Department instructing courses within the following areas: Administrative Law; ADR/Mediation; and Corporate Law , Adjunct Professor
Certified Legal Specialties:
- Chairperson Training Seminar - Securities Arbitration, NASD, New York Securities Arbitration
- Training Seminar - NASD, New York
- Securities Arbitration Training Seminar - NYSE, New York
- Securities Arbitration Training Seminar II-NYSE, New York
- New Jersey State Police Academy, 180th Municipal Class, Sea Girt, New Jersey
- Criminal Investigation School - New Jersey State Police Academy
- Basic Drug Enforcement School - New Jersey State Police Academy
- Defensive Driving School - New Jersey State Police Academy
- Child Abuse/Neglect Seminar - Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office - Monmouth County Police Academy
- Pace University School of Law, White Plains, New York
- Juris Doctor
- New Jersey
- Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge 53 - Outstanding Officer (1993)
- PBA, Local 124 Service Award - Combat Cross (1990)
- PBA, Local 124 Service Award - Medal of Merit (1992)
- New Jersey Police Honor Legion, Inducted 1990
- PBA, Local 124 Service Award - Lifesaving Award (1986)
- PBA, Local 124 Service Award- Lifesaving Award (1985)
- PBA, Local 124 Service Award - Lifesaving Award (1984)
- Broker Misconduct-A Quick Primer, Withum Smith & Brown eNewsletter, coauthored with Thomas H. Chiacchio, Jr., Esq. , 2016
- Broker Misconduct: Know the Early Signs, 2017
- Puerto Rico Municipal Bonds: Investor Risk or Compensable Broker Malfeasance, 2017
- Volatility: And it’s Not Just in the Market, 2018
- Secondary Liability under the New Jersey Uniform Securities Law, White Paper presented to the State of New Jersey, Office of Public Guardian, Elder Fraud Unit , 2019
- Don’t over look portfolio losses simply because of COVID-19 volatility, 2020
- “The Trail”, 8 part episode miniseries, co-authored with Frank Tumminia, by John Marinan and Frank Tumminia-All Rights Reserved, WGA Registration No. 2013645, 2019
- The New York State Bar Association, Member
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Member
- The New Jersey Police Honor Legion, Member
- The Fraternal Order of Police, Lodge 53, Life Member
- The Pace University School of Law Alumni, Member
- Christian Brothers Academy Alumni Association, Member
- PBA, Local 124, Past Member